Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Tension as Gunmen Storm Veritas University and made way with Catholic Priest


It was a great tragedy on Monday 7th April 2018 at Veritas University Abuja (The Catholic University of Nigeria) located at Bwari Area Council Zuma II when unknown Gunmen attacked the Institution.
The Gunmen stormed the University around 12 mid-night with many shots in the air clearing road or scaring the security personnel’s away to their destination. They matched to the Priests house which is located opposite the institution main Gate and mad way with the Priest.
Fr. Dr. Basil Ekot
The kidnapped lecturer, Rev. Fr. Dr. Basil A. Ekot is a Senior lecturer in the Department of Political Science and Diplomacy and personal assistant to the Vice-Chancellor of the Institution. He hails from Ikot Imoh in Ikot Abasi Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State of Nigeria. Fr. Dr. Ekot is a Catholic priest of the diocese of Uyo. He studied at Bigard Memorial Seminary Ikot Ekpene and Enugu where he obtained a Bachelor of Philosophy degree in 1982 and a Bachelor of Divinity in 1988 respectively.
Stating how the event took place a student who was in the class preparing for his Monday morning test said and I quote; “I was in the class reading my note for my Monday test when I heard the sound of the gunshot, I was shocked because such sound is rear around the school premises, on hearing the sound frequently I had to pack my books and run back to my hostel more tension on me when I was going back to my hostel the security check points in our school premises there Were nobody as at the time though I was even the one to inform my roommates.  For us to come for class on Monday  and the news of Fr. Ekot is already everywhere.”
Another student who also heard the same similar experience said that  he was researching for Fr. Ekots assignment which will be submitted on Tuesday when he heard the acclamation of the bullet in the air he has to abandon everything back to his hostel on reaching his hostel, his roommate has already gone under their bed that is telling you how heavy the sound of the gun shot was.
As it stands now the management has made contact with the kidnappers but where advised to stay out of comment for healthy release of the victim.
The Registrar also who make an appeal to the Campus to pray for the healthy release of Rev. Fr. Dr. Basil Ekot said they were able to speak with Fr. Ekot on Tuesday morning and he is requesting for prayer.
We will keep you posted. And please don’t forget to pray for Rev. Fr. Basil Ekot for his healthy release and as soon as possible.
#VUNAGIST @Vunaverified.

No comments:

Post a Comment